Monday, August 13, 2012

Wierd Slam Hands

Have not posted in a while, was on a trip to England, but not for the Olympics. We went prior to them starting and had a great time for a few weeks.

Had a couple of very wild hands in the last week where distribution and wildness was the order of the day. On the first, playing in our weekly IMPS League, I picked up the following with no one Vul. AKJT83  8  753  A94 and after a Pass by partner, heard it go 1H on my right. The opps had gotten a good board on the first board, and since I have a bit of a rep for light pre-empts, it was time to change some things around. I jumped to 3S, and it now went 4D on my left. Pard now got into the act with 5C, which interested me a lot, since it should imply Spade tolerance to introduce a new suit like this as a passed hand. RHO now went 5D, and I assumed that they prob had a 2 suited fit like it appeared we did. Not wanting LHO to be able to bid 5H, I bid 5S, really hoping partner had that Spade Support I assumed he had, rather than have a normal assume situation.

LHO now bid 6D over that, and partner showed the Spade Support with 6S. I had kinda hoped to be able to defend 6D, but here we are. RHO passed, I passed, and LHO doubled, ending the auction. LHO led the 9 of Hearts, and this dummy appeared.

6542  T7632  --- KQT6

AKJT83 8 753 A94

RHO won the Q of Hearts and led the K back. Since it appeared I needed 2 Hearts on my left, since the Q of Spades was more likely to be there, I ruffed with the J of Spades, LHO following with a low Heart. It was a pretty simple matter to ruff two Diamonds now and claim +1250 on the board.

The next occurred on BBO, and resulted in some hard feelings on the hand, and a complaint from me. I picked up AKT5  98743  Q943  --- with everyone vul. Partner opened 1D, which I liked, and I responded 1H. Partner now jumped to 4H, making my hand a gold mine, so I jumped to 6H, giving up on the grand since we were not an established partnership, and I have pretty awful Hearts. The opening lead was the Q of Spades, and this was dummy.

83  AK2  AK75  AJ86

AKT5 98743 Q943 ---

All in all, a very nice slam to be in. I won the A of Spades, and played the AK of Hearts, with everyone following. So far so good, now if Diamonds are 3-2, it is claimers, and if a Singleton J or 10 falls and I guess which side, I can also make. Since there is a slight extra chance with the stiff 8 fo Diamonds on my right, I decided to play for that side having a possible singleton. I now played the A of Clubs pitching a Spade, a Spade to the K, ruffed a Spade, and a small Diamond off board. RHO popped with the J of Diamonds (YES!) and I won the Q. Hoping that was not a nice false card, I advanced the 9 of Diamonds to hope for a cover.

LHO covered with the 10 of Diamonds, I played the A, and RHO ruffed with the last Heart. I now claimed, saying I was taking the marked Diamond hook.

At this point, everything fell apart. The opps rejected the claim (of course) and then stated I was cheating when I now took the Diamond hook, since I had claimed. LHO stated very clearly that I was cheating, since I could now see all 4 hands ( Declarer can not on BBO ) and that I had not said I was taking the Diamond Hook. Well I was stating that his partner had SHOWN OUT on the Diamond, my partner stated I had said I was taking the Diamond hook. Both opps now left the table of course, not wanting to finish the hand.

LHO left the game, but came back on a few minutes later and started swearing at me and claiming that I was a cheater. Since this annoyed me a lot, I sent in the hand with the recording of the conversation to BBO and thier abuse group. Will see if anything happens.

At least the 2 hands were a lot of fun to get right, and nice to remember how to play still :)

4 comments:

  1. This is the nice blog . There are many information of led writing board if you want get more information and uses of led boards then visit Led writing Board

    ReplyDelete
  2. 14 cards for spade hand in first shown hand.

    I am not a player on BBO (although I certainly enjoy watching the championship events), but the complaint on the second hand and the way it is communicated surely seems WAY out of line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, fixed the first hand, added a spade, guess I thought I had 7 for the 3S bid.

    And yea, I really thought the comments and antics were way out of line on the 2nd hand. In a tourney, I would have been calling for the director the way the person was carrying on.

    ReplyDelete